Friday, January 4, 2013

2013, a time for new resolve.

Hello Friends, 

It's that time of year again, the holidays have passed the new year has begun and most of us are thinking about the year gone by...I have never been a good resolution maker. I always spout out the basics, loose weight, exercise more, yada yada....but this year I feel quite a bit different. Perhaps because this year has been such a huge change for my family and I, but whatever the reason I feel a little more resolve in 2013. I decided that it would behoove me to share some of my goals with all of you to hold myself more responsible should I let them fall by the wayside. So here they are:

1) Live my religion more actively. I am a Mormon, I know it, I live it, I LOVE it. 
-There comes a time in a persons life when a choice has to be made, continue living the traditions, religion, lifestyle you were raised or branch away and become what you feel is your "own" person. After 5 years of inactivity in our church Adam and I have recommitted ourselves to our religion, but more importantly to our Father in Heaven. I want to learn the gospel, I want to follow the commandments, and I want to build a better relationship with my Heavenly Father and with my Savior.

2) Look for the good in my marriage. 
-I have been blessed with my perfect match in this life. He is kind, loving, helpful, funny, handy, humble, the list could go on and on. But like many of us, I find myself missing out on the good daily because all I can see is the toilet seat left up, the dirty socks on the floor.....I want to spend 2013 remembering the way he plays with our children, the way he still looks at me like I'm the most beautiful women in the world, and most of all remembering that the love we feel for each other has only grown in almost 6 years of marriage. 

3) See my children for the beautiful blessings they are.
All to often as a mother I focus on area's of improvement with my children. Avery is 3 and half and isn't fully potty trained, Makenna needs to grow this much in two months time....so much stress and frustration and I am missing out on the simple moments that are so beautiful and meaningful. I want to remember more the way Avery just wants to sit on my lap and hug me whenever I have a spare minute, I want to remember the way Makenna gives kisses to Piglet and to mommy every morning. I don't think any parent is perfect and I have tried to never judge another parent for what I think may be lacking, so I think 2013 is the year for me to stop judging myself. There is one thing I know without a doubt when it comes to my parenting style, as long as I love my children with everything that I have, they will turn out alright. 

4) Respect my body as the sacred temple it is. 
For to many years I have allowed my love of fast food (Taco Bell to be exact) and almost complete inactivity to rule my life. It's as if one day I woke up and realized I'm not happy with myself. I don't feel it's fair to my husband, my children, but most of all it's not fair to me. I am selling myself far to short on the happiness train if I don't take action now. I refuse to set a weight goal for myself but here is what I do plan to do...
-Quit eating fast food! I may be cranky for a month or two, and I'm sure I will fall off the wagon a time or two...but there is no reason for me to be eating it! EVER! If I want to go out with my husband then we can go to a nice restaurant. I don't need to be eating out Taco Bell or anywhere else that's deep fried as often as I do. 
-Quit drinking pop! Drinking your calories is not nearly as fun as eating them. Let it go.
- Exercise consistently! For me that means at least an hour a day 5 days a week. Wether it's a walk outside with the kids, a bike ride as a family, or a high intensity spin class be active. It makes me happier and it makes me feel better about myself without loosing a single pound. 
- Run a 5K By fall 2013 I hope to have completed my first 5K.

That's it, 4 goals. But I hope that when I post in January of 2014 I will have taken hold of my life and rid myself of the addictions and temptations that bring me down. I want to be happier body, mind, and spirit and I feel the goals I have set for myself are the way to do it. So this is it. Bring it on 2013, I resolve to be a better version of myself by the time we are ringing in the new year again. 

2 comments:

  1. Such great goals. I am so proud of you, and here to help you any way I can. YOU CAN DO IT!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ariel! I almost didn't blog about them because I was embarrassed to publicly talk about some of the things I have been struggling with...but after watching your latest video I realized that this year is my year...and I needed to start off with holding myself accountable! I am excited to see what your 30 day challenge is all about and to learn some great things from you this year :)

    ReplyDelete